Monday, May 12, 2014

The Trouble with Talking It Out

One of the problems with depression is that it's very difficult to explain how you're feeling when it's happening. It's just a heavy sadness that pervades your entire thought process and it's not caused by any specific issue.

But because we are cause-effect creatures, we *think* it's born of a specific issue and it makes existing issues seem much worse than they are. Also, depression LIES, but it's hard to see that when you're in the middle of it.

Everyone says you need to "talk it out", but it's very difficult to put what is roiling about in your depressed head into words that make any kind of sense. Any attempt at analyzing it results in more paranoia, and any attempt at explaining it to others runs the risk of being misunderstood, creating an even bigger problem.

I just want to disappear into myself, but unfortunately, I'm surrounded by empaths who get negatively impacted by my own misery. It's a rotten thing for everyone and I'm so, so sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I consider myself fortunate that my husband is a Libra and balances out my inherently emotional Cancer spirit. He provides a sounding board and sometimes even a kick in the butt when I need it. But you're right, even having support isn't always enough and a person who's depressed might not want it at times.

    ReplyDelete